X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documenting Children's Learning

For each child, Do we have to have separate obs for each of the Learning Outcomes or we can highlight more than one LO in a single ob?.... Coz they are all so overlapping!!!I learnt earlier that we can highlight more than one LO in a single ob, but have seen some centers following a strict rule regarding separate obs for separate LO's! So aren't they then, in a way, creating situations for the missing LO n thus following an Adult initiated curriculum?????

- Onkar, Facebook wall post

Seems a bit repetitive to me, if they are going to do a separate outcome for each observation. In any one observation sometimes I have 3, 4, or 5 outcomes being demonstrated.

Comment

I think a lot of the questions that take the form of 'do we have to...' are unanswerable, if what the 'askers' are referring to is what will be required under NQS.

Most learning experiences are examples of more than one Outcome area -- and some may be good examples of all 5! One of the strengths of the EYLF is that parts overlap -- Outcomes with Outcomes, Practices and Principles. I think that when you're analysing a piece of documentation you will almost always see it in terms of more than one Outcome. You can also use the Outcomes as a way of 'cross checking' that you're gathering a complete picture of each child -- that is, to make sure over a period of time that you have assessments that reflect all the Outcome areas.

Comment

Given that holistic learning is one of the key practices outlined in the EYLF I think that we should actually be aiming for experiences (and observations) that contain more than one outcome or kind of learning.

Not to say we won't sometimes have a specific focus for a particular child or experience, but we also shouldn't ignore the other learning that is inevitably occuring at the same time.

Of course that sometimes makes it difficult for us to untangle exactly what is going on for a child or group of children, but the learning that is occurring is probably far more meaningful and engaging because it does cross over between outcomes, developmental domains or subject areas, rather than being artificially split off into a series of specific skills.

Comment

Why dont you just take a group observation & photocopy it for each individual portfolio?
          Because if its an activity that several children are extending on they can benefit from the goal whether its wellbeing for their social play or whatever else.

Comment

Im against the whole photocopy a group ob and put it in every portfolio. I dont really think it shows what a child does, but thats my opinion. My group obs stay as group obs and group focuses. Individual obs are specific for each child. I dont think you can get specific enough for an inidivdual child in a group ob. Thats just my opinion though.

Comment

I don't mind photocopying a group ob and placing it in individual portfolios and listing group outcomes. If a child in this group responds particularly positively or demonstrates a significant development to an experience, I would indicate this on their ob in their portfolio. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Dear Anne, yes, I did mean if it was required under NQS. I second Luke that we cannot ignore other significant learning taking place simultaneously along with the one that we are focussing on. Photocopying is not a bad idea Texta, as no matter how similar the experience we provide to each child, it can have different implications on each one of them. So we can focus on individual child’s reaction, behaviour, skill & learning involved even in group obs. Of course, we don’t wanna get away with only group obs n do need to document individual obs alongside as only then can we get a better picture of the whole child! So I reckon achieving right balance of group & individual obs to obtain a deep insight into each child’s learning is the key! Isn’t this what we are expected to do under NQS?????

Comment

I am thinkning that it is not so much about observing the outcome but observing the child's interest, behaviours, friendships etc and then analysing that observation by using the outcomes as a guide, For example if I observe children playing in the home corner I see lots of language and I note the vocabulary and the way they use language _ i see them negotiating roles which takes cerain dispositions adn skills etc, I see children helping each other and introducing new ideas to each other. I see them bring their life experiences to the play and on it goes. I then analyse this jotting against the five learning outcoems to make some assessement of where these children are at, where I might encourage their play to go and where I might offer some support. In this sense I am not looking for a certain outcome but by looking holistically I am making sense of the outcomes for that child. It is both group and individual but at the end of the day I know more about those children. I imagine that I would organise this in a file where on occassion I could sumarise what I know about each child in relation to the LO's.
                  What do others think?
                  Sandra

Comment

Working...
                  X