X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXAMPLE of How You Can Introduce Yourself

Please drop in and introduce yourself if you are a new or existing member of the Forum. This is a great place for your first post once registered. Come in to ‘meet’ the moderators as well.

Name:
    Location (State):
    Education:
    Work and Type of Setting:
    Experience:
    Interests:
    Early Childhood Education and Care Values:

Hi
    I am Anne Kennedy from Victoria. Currently I work as a trainer, consultant, writer and researcher in early childhood education. I have worked previously as a university lecturer in primary and early childhood teacher education and as childcare director and preschool and primary school teacher.
    My professional interests are focused around advocacy for the early childhood profession and children's rights.
    My values are summed up in the quote in the Preamble to ECA's Code of Ethics---"Wise moral decisions will always acknowledge or interdependency; our moral choices are ours alone,but they bind us all to those who will be affected by them" (Mackay, 2004).

Comment

Kia Ora, or hello everyone,
      I'm Jean Rockel from Auckland, New Zealand - trying to learn more about the new ideas emerging in Australia. I am an early childhood lecturer at the Faculty of Education, University of Auckland. My passion is to learn more about early learning in the first years. I have experience in what was referred to as childcare, but is now called education and care. I am aware of the political nature of infant-toddler care and education and strive to be an advocate for quality. My beliefs and values are to do with Ako, which is a Maori concept that refers to learning and teaching - where the learner teaches and the teacher learns. In NZ our early childhood curriculum talks about reciprocal and responsive relationships. My current interest is in whether the content of teacher-education qualifications sufficiently addresses the current research in early learning and teaching with infants and toddlers and supports teachers with a career in infant-toddler education and care. I am also interested in the history of care in NZ and Australia.

Comment

Welcome Jean to the ECA Forum. We do have NZ trained educators working in Australia reading and posting on this Forum and I'm sure many of them would be pleased to see that you have posted. The 'Ako' concept sounds interesting and resonates with concepts in the Australian EYLF. I am also wondering if it resonates with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ideas about educating others. Hopefully a Forum member with this knowledge might talk about this with us.
        We have similar concerns in Australia about the content and quality of training and field placements for educators in babies and toddlers education and care. There are variations across the States and Territories in this area for early childhood teacher training. The nationally approved Diploma training does include units in babies and toddler education and care and field placements.
        Anne K

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, Anne. To make connections between philosophies and other world views is inspiring, I find. What would be a useful website that I could access to find out more about the nationally approved Diploma training and the units in babies and toddler education and care and field placements? Is this to come into being in 2012, or is it currently underway? Jean

Comment

Hi Jean

I have pasted in a reply for you from someone who know more about the Diploma training packages than I do. If you email me-a.m.kennedy@bigpond.com I can also send you copies of the relevant unit guides from this course.

The training package can be downloaded from the Community Services and Health Industry Skills council site and I have attached the link
            https://www.cshisc.com.au/index.php?...=60&Itemid=152
            I have also attached the unit of competency
            Care for babies is the only unit that is specifically written for the 0-2 year old group although “provide care for Children does focus on routines, feeding and dressing but is not specific to the 0-3 year olds.
            I have attached a copy of both these units for your information,

The other units are more generic in that they focus on 0-5 year olds While they do not necessarily cover specifically 0-3 it would be expected that a trainer would purposefully link to 0-3. The criteria for assessments states that they must be assessed across a range of ages and a range of settings but is no more specific to that . We take that to mean 0-3 and 3-5 however that is not always the case by different RTOs

Anne K

Comment

Name: Mel
              Location (State): Victoria
              Education: Cert 3.. currently doing my diploma, and struggling a bit with it
              Work and Type of Setting: i work in a 42 place community run cedntre
              Experience: 10 and a half years in my current centre, but did relief work for about a year before that
              Interests: child care, afl, photography

Comment

Hi everyone

I’m a passionate advocate for both the Early Years Learning Framework and the Framework for School Age Care and believe that they improve outcomes for children, families and educators.

Observing the importance of early childhood education and care being recognised by all governments for the first time in my career has been momentous and I believe that the introduction of the National Quality Framework is a wonderful step forward for our profession.

My career (celebrating 40 years in the profession!) has included teaching in preschools, Higher Education and TAFE. One of the highlights of my working life was my association with the National Childcare Accreditation Council as a Reviewer Trainer, Moderator and member of the Quality Advisory Group. I now work as an early childhood consultant and deliver training sessions throughout Australia primarily for the Professional Support Coordinators, and for State, Territory and Commonwealth Governments. It is a privilege for me to meet so many wonderful educators who are making a difference for children.
                Heather
                PS Keep up with your study Mel, we need you.

Comment

Welcome mels - understand the struggle with study, especially when work as well. Hopefully this forum will provide some good support for you and your practice. Neville

Comment

Hi Mel

Good to have you formally introduced to the Forum readers and posters. Anyone who takes on further study while working is to be admired! I did it myself and know how difficult it can be. The Forum and all the other ECA PLP resources should be a great help with your studies. Also DEECD resources on their website-for example the VEYLDF Evidence Papers on the Practice Principles and soon to follow Practice Guides based on the evidence papers.
                    Does your interest in afl and photography get utilised in your workplace?
                    Anne K

Comment

Name: Sharron
                      Location (State): Victoria
                      Education: Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care, currently studying Advanced Diploma
                      Work and Type of Setting: Area Manager, long day care
                      Experience: 10 years experience as group leader, director and area manager
                      Interests: Reading and music (I play the guitar very badly!!!
                      Early Childhood Education and Care Values: My philosophy is that we are all in this together. It's not just about each child's education, but also about their families education and our own education. Each person is unique, and learns in so many different ways, from so many different people and experiences. We can all learn off each other. And I think that the NQS and EYLF (or VEYLDF here in Victoria) is helping us to do that through the professional conversations we are having. I am loving the changes that I am seeing in my centres, in the children, in the educators and in the families. I agree with Mel that it is so hard to study whilst working and juggling a family as well, but we owe it to our future generations to better educate ourselves. And there is a wealth of information and resources out there - just look at this forum and the many topics that it has covered!!! Thanks everyone for sharing ideas, inspiration and motivation!!!

Comment

Thanx for that Sharron for that positive reflection on Early Childhood - its an exciting and daunting period. Welcome to the forum.

Neville

Comment

Hi all,
                          I am Fiona MacGregor. Currently working at Randwick TAFE delivering the Certificate 3 and Diploma courses for the newly named Early Childhood Education and Care section. I began my education with an Associate Diploma (child studies), I then moved on to gain my Bachelor of Teaching (early childhood), and now I am almost finished my Ggraduate Diploma of Early Childhood Education (one unit to go!!). I will then have my "fourth year!" I have found the study extremely time consuming and at times challenging, yet it has also been extremely satisfying, both personally and professionally. I would Thoroughly recommend further study to all early childhood educators - especially in this time of rapid change! I also have experience in LDC, Preschool and school settings.
                          I am finding this forum and the Facebook thread really valuable, as it keeps me up to date and informed on what is happening in the field - and there are many excellent suggestions and comments to go away and reflect on! And, of course pass on to my students!
                          I teach a range of units - yet, I have a strong interest in how families are supported in their challenging role, their need for quality information and the inportance of authentic and positive relationships with early childhood educators.
                          Thank you to the moderators and contributors for providing access to so many like-minded professionals.

Comment

Welcome Fiona - who did you do your Grad. Dip through? Neville

Comment

Macquarie University - by distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X