X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming time

I have recently started a new job in a small centre. It's my first time implementing eylf. My old centre programmed the old way and gave qualifieds 2 hrs a week to plan, program and sort paperwork. My new centre says it is up to the discretion of the centre as to if I get programming time or not. I've read the modern award and think I'm meant to get non contact time but would like a second opinion before I make a fuss at work.

I run the babies room and feel that I'm neglecting the children and not providing adequate supervision when I am alone in a room with 4 babies and trying to write the curriculum as well as learning stories and all the weekly email sheets.

Please tell me your thoughts or give me the details of who can answer these questions for me.

Thankyou

- Sarah, from EYLF inbox

In Victoria under the childrens services award you are definately still entitled to non-contact time. I am not sure of the regs/awards for other states. It will also depend on and EBA's or other agreements your workplace has.

21.5 Non-contact time
    (a) An employee responsible for the preparation, implementation and/or evaluation
    of a developmental program for an individual child or group of children will be
    entitled to a minimum of two hours per week, during which the employee is
    not required to supervise children or perform other duties directed by the
    employer, for the purpose of planning, preparing, evaluating and programming
    activities.

Comment

HI Sarah, The first thing is to determine which Award or Enterprise Agreement you are employed under. If it is the Modern Award then I read it the same as you. It is possible however that you are not under the Modern Award and so different conditions may have been negotiated. You are right to raise the issues - both for yourself and for the children you are working with. All you need is clarification and the chance to discuss the matter with your employer in a reasoned way. You might also look at Quality Area 7 in the NQS with your employer and consider Managemetn responsibilities for meeting quality standards.

Comment

Sarah - just to reitierate = the Modern Award is teh base level award that is now in place for those who work in children's services across teh country - there can be variations on conditions, salarylevels etc - but no agreement should go below the conditions outlined within teh modern award.

As Melissama says under clause 21 of teh modern award it says

"21.5 Non-contact time

(a) An employee responsible for the preparation, implementation and/or evaluation of a developmental program for an individual child or group of children will be entitled to a minimum of two hours per week, during which the employee is not required to supervise children or perform other duties directed by the employer, for the purpose of planning, preparing, evaluating and programming activities.

(b) Wherever possible non-contact time should be rostered in advance."

So thats the baseline an employer should work from. If you are responsible for programming - for an individual or group of children then you should be getting at least 2 hours non contact time per week for programming and working through your documentation. You may be able to negiotiate additional time allocations for that too - but it has to be above this base level requirement.

Its also important to remember that as employees are moved to teh modern award they should not drop in salary. No one should be worse off in this new system, if you as an employee beleive that you have been downgraded in salary or conditions then you need to talk to Fairwork Australia and they will investigate.

As Sandra points out Quality Area 7 is a great one to focus on - how mamagement support the team and their responsibilities as employers.

If you want to read teh modern award you can do so here.

Comment

Working...
        X