Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Confused

Hi everyone

I have just begun researching the new framework and how it differs from the old system. I would really appreciate it if everyone could post back with their own definition on how it differs and also how it should be implimented.
    I am Diploma qualified and looking to begin work again soon however I just dont know where Im going to begin as far as documenting everything is concerned.
    Please help!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by tamz888; 08-03-2012, 10:44 PM.

Hi very confused. You are not alone about where to start but I suggest you read over other parts of this forum as many educators are wondering how this all fits in with what they were confident in doing before. As others have suggested it is important to read and becoming familiar with the EYLF and take small parts to begin with. What the EYLF asks of us is to re examine what you used to do and now. What you might do know you have a new framework to work with. One of the exciting things is now we have a national framework but I understand it's daunting for someone just coming to terms with the different expectations. Keep reading and asking questions on the forum. There are lots of ideas but no one way.

Comment

Thanks for that, I will definately be reading up on this forum as everyone seems to be in the same boat. By reading the small amount that I have, I'm assuming most of what I used to do can still fit in with the new framework however can someone answer these q's for me?...
      - Are all of our obs now having to be linked to the new outcomes? and if so, are we able to have that coded at the top of the obs page?
      - Before I used to have a program plan that was labled with the developmental areas such as physical, social/emotional, language, cognitive etc and then the experiences were listed under those, am I still able to do that as long as I have lots of room for modifications etc?
      - A friend of mine at a centre she works at now has all of her obs based on photos with an explanation of the photo underneath, is the new framework meant to be more photo based?

Also anyone else's interpretation of how they will impliment the new framework would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Comment

Hi Tamz,
        Yes youa re right that much of what you already do will probably fit well within the EYLF and the requiremetns undet the National Quality Standard (NQS). Now is a good opportunity to reflect on what you do and why you do it. As Judy says there is no one place to start but dont think that it is about completely chaginging everything - what the NQS is really asking for is for educators to show that the experiences they plan and offer to children are meaningful and lead to learning. The five learning outcomes are provided to give a direction to those plans an ansure that all chidlren in whatever setting across Australia have access to meaningful learning experiences. I think it is too prescriptive to say that all obs will be linked to the 5 LOs. and really, is coding going to help you in any way to make better planning decisions for children? I have tried to observe in a framework of the LOs and find that many of the observations I take move across and in and out LOs. Children's experiences are just not that simple and straightforward. I feel that some summary needs to happen after a series of observations that refelct on the 5 LOs rather than trying to make your observations fit into a LO. Once again with your program plan in the developmental domains - this is up to you. What makes sense and if you continute to plan in developmetnal areas are you able to see the learning in the five outcomes? Lastly I can'[t see anywhere that teh EYLF or the NQS is asking for an increase in photography. I think the important questions here are about how useful teh photos are, how time consuming and how much they lead us to better curriculum decision making. As I ahev said before I know many wonderful teachers who never use a camera - it is one of the tools that can sometimes assist but I really question that it is the only or best way to really understand children's learning, progress or the hidden things like motivaton, intent etc - the things the camera doesn't see. So some great questions _ I hope that others will get involved in this conversation. It would be a good idea to read back over some of the other discussions on this as many people have expressed a range of views on approaches to the EYLF - in particular concerns that trying to make a quick and easy format to show as evidence of your use of teh EYLF may not be the best way of planning great experiences for children.

Comment

When thinking about gathering information about children we started by looking at each of the learning outcomes and the key components that are linked to each outcome. For each outcome and key component we explored a range of possible questions that we though may help us to gather valuable information about the children (especially for our students who when starting a placement in a children's service do not know the children). For example in relation to LO1 we may start with a focus question such as "in what ways does the child interact and relate with others?" We have found using questions as a tool for gathering information a very useful strategy to use when initially exploring the framework. As Sandra has stated there is a lot of movement across the outcomes and it is important not to be too prescriptive and of course you often will gather information quite spontaneously throughout the day without having a question in mind and often this will not fit neatly into an outcome or it may fit across all five. After looking at the information gathered whether it is through photographs, written observations, information provided by families or spontaneous happenings throughout the day we summarise this and explore the possibilities for planning.

Comment

Thanks for your input sandra,

I have just had a conversation with a previous collegue who had had some training from lady gowrie about the framework.
            They have suggested photo based obs and a more program flow style room plan that is modified everyday based on the daily interests of the children. She is coding her obs in the interpretation of the ob and then coding the modification activity that it sparked on the wall plan. They are also not having focus children anymore but instead observing all children at once and just making sure there is at least one meaningful ob per month for each child and one for the group. Then they are also doing a daily room reflection about how the day went. Just thought I would share that!

I would also just like to mention that I love all of the themes in the framework, I love the fact that we are taken more seriously as educators now rather than just people who work in childcare and I love the push toward critical reflection and questioning why we do what we do.
            However, I must admit that it would be difficult as an employee of a service when you want to not just appear as though you know what you are doing, but you really do want to know exactly what you are doing.
            Im feeling some pressure now as one side of me wants to be open to trial and error, and not being afraid to fail when it comes to implimenting the new framework and the other side of me just wants to be 100% confident and "up to the task" and wants to get it right not just for the kids and families but also for my boss and collegues and myself! (Im not yet employed full time)
            Last edited by tamz888; 08-03-2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Excellent suggestions Tracy. The sub-outcomes are really important to look at. And, as you say, so important to use the Outcomes but not be constrained by them. They should broaden rather than limit the learning we see. An educator who works with babies and toddlers shared with me that when they can't see babies and toddlers in one of the examples of evidence of the Outcome, they ask themselves 'What comes before this? What do children learn and do before this happens?' She said she found that very helpful.

Always that question 'What does this mean? What does what I've observed tell me about this child's learning?' is worth asking. So important to think about the meaning.

Comment

Hi All, I think it is very important not to think of taking photos as a must do. I believe they can add to the value of our documentation but only if we analyse and can clearly articulate the learning we think is being depicted by the photo. I find coding very confusing and time consuming, always checking back to see what each code means. It is far more useful to check in about our relationships with children. From time to time our teams will play a kind of game to check their knowledge and relationship with each child. (not all of them at once) We pull names of children from a hat and ask each other questions about the child. What do they like doing, who are their family, what learning dispositions do we see them using, what learning might be next for this child, how can we best support this child to develop their interests further and engage in learning experiences meaningful to them. Its kind of fun. Sometimes we discover that one person has more knowledge about a particular child than another person, sometimes staff from another room add information that hadn't been considered before and sometimes we find that nobody really knows much at all about a child - this drives all of us to seek ways to build a relationship with the child. When we have good relationships with children we are able to make many of our daily experiences in the centre meaningful for each child as we don't forget what it is we are supporting them to learn. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Thats a great idea kate - a good thing to do at a team meetings and its does sound like fun. You could do it with lots of things - policies, parts of the EYLF or aspects of the program...

Catharine

Comment

Hi there everyone,

I was wondering if the EYLF was more focused on computer software for children, As I am not very aware of what what in the childcare centre's before this came out in 2010.
                    Ive only studied Practical in 3 centres and there wasn't much of a focused program as what this is meant to be. What is the Early Years Learning Framework? Is that when they brought out prep in Queensland and started updating schools level of education? by adding in doing your work on computers instead of a pen and paper? This has gotten me very confused, As i have to do an observation on a child using the EYLF? What does that mean?

Any feedback with be accepted thanks

Sandra

Comment

Hello Sandra
                      Well it sounds like you are a bit confused by the changes that have taken place recently.
                      there are several things you could do to get on top of this.

I would first recommend you get a copy of the EYLF - you can download it from here. http://acecqa.gov.au/early-childhood...ng-frameworks/
                      Then I would recommend that you read the details of the reform agenda (it applies to your work in Qld) on the ACECQA website http://acecqa.gov.au/about/. It would be good to take you time to look through this and then get back on here and ask some more questions...
                      You might also contact the PSC in your state QLD PSC - they will I am sure be happy to talk you through the changes and give you a sense of where you might get more help.

Start there and let us know how you go...

Health and Community Service Workforce Council Inc
                      Phone: (07) 3234 0190
                      or 1800 112 585 (toll free)

Fax: (07) 3234 0474
                      E-mail: pscq@workforce.org.au

Comment

Hi Sandra,
                        The Early Years Learning Framework is the national learning framework for children from birth to age five.The framework has been developed to help educators in their decision making about programs and practices designed for young children. You can find it on the DEEWR website and some helpful supporting documents. The EYLF is found at deewr.gov.au/early-years-learning-framework. Have a look and ask any more questions you like. Lennie

Comment

Working...
                        X